If you’ve decided to pack your bags and relocate to your dream country you are about to embark on one of the most exciting times of your life.
Moving is a wonderful experience but it can be a highly stressful time. Stepping in to the unknown and transferring your life and all of your belongings to a new destination can leave you with many questions.
To help ease your fears here are our answers to some questions commonly asked about moving.
When should I arrange a quotation?
It’s important not to leave your search for an international relocation company until the last minute. Give yourself plenty of time to arrange relocation quotations, appoint a relocation company and finalise all of your arrangements. We recommend you make contact a minimum of twelve weeks prior to your planned moving date.
How is the cost calculated and what does it include?
The cost of sea freight and road shipments are based on the total volume of your goods. This is calculated by multiplying the length, breadth and height of your items – this gives you a total volume in cubic feet. Air freight shipments are calculated on either the actual gross weight or the volume weight of the goods.
What does the quote include?
No two relocations are the same, so quotation’s will be specifically tailored to your individual requirements.
Some things are always included:
- Supply of all new packing materials
- Packing of your household goods and personal effects by trained, experienced packers
- Preparation of an itemised inventory
- Collection from your home
- Crating/containerisation and delivery to the terminal
- Preparation of all export documentation and all import documentation for the completion of Customs and Agricultural Clearances
- Payment of terminal charges
- Delivery direct to store/residence within a 50km radius of the destination port
- Unpacking and clearance of all waste materials on day of delivery, as required.
The quotation will exclude any import duties or taxes due in various countries, quarantine examinations if ordered or storage if required. Your Relocation Consultant will be happy to explain this to you during the survey.
Are any items prohibited from my shipment?
Each country has its own restrictions; but as a general rule, the following items should not be included in your shipment:
- Firearms and ammunition
- Foodstuffs, including herbs and spices
- Hazardous items (including adhesives, ammonia, bleaches, chlorine, detergents, disinfectants, dyes, flammables, gas cylinders, insecticides, mercury thermometers, methylated spirits, paints, pesticides, photographic chemicals, pressure packs, thinners)
- Items made from endangered animals
- Unprocessed furs, skins
- Plants, dried flowers, bulbs, seeds
- Pornographic material
- Soil or sand of any kind
- Swords, spears, switchblades.
Can I pack my own possessions?
For security reasons, many countries no longer accept shipments that are packed by the owner. In addition, any damage incurred to items you packed yourself may not be covered by transit insurance. It’s advisable to have professionals movers pack all of your household items and personal effects. Movers are professionally trained and have years of experience packing people’s precious belongings.
For more information on planning your move visit here.