Crown Relocations logo
Close search
Tower Bridge

We put together this UK immigration guide to help you get started planning your own move.

UK immigration status – as a foreign resident

Currently, members of the European Union or the European Economic Area generally will not need a work permit for the United Kingdom. Non-EU and Non-EEA members must apply for the relevant work permit or visa before leaving for the UK with their local UK embassy or they will not be able to obtain entry.

Choosing the right visa

There are many options depending on the purpose of your visit and the eligibility criteria. The following may be available:

  • Multiple entry Business Visas
  • Tier 2 visas for skilled workers
  • Tier 1 visas for entrepreneurs and investors
  • Permits for family members of EEA nationals or spouses of British nationals

Applications must be made through UK Visas and Immigration directly or using a suitable immigration specialist.

Relocating with a partner?

Your spouse will be able to stay in the UK with you after they have obtained entry clearance through UK immigration. This will let allow them to stay in the UK whilst you reside in the UK and hold a valid work permit. They will also be entitled to work whilst living in the UK with you.

Acceptable forms of identification in the UK

The main form of identification in the UK is a driver’s license. To obtain this you will need to pass a UK driving test. Alternatively, if you have a foreign driving license you may be able to exchange this for a UK one. Your passport will able act a main form of identification in the UK.

And lastly…

Make sure that your work permit, passport and visas valid for the duration of your stay. Renew when they are nearing their expiration.

Wondering what to do when you arrive? We’ve picked out some of our favourite things to do when you arrive in the UK. Click here to find out more.



Crown Relocations has made every effort to present accurate information in the UK immigration guide. However, regulations, rates and other variables are subject to change and Crown Relocations cannot accept responsibility for the errors that might result. Should you have any questions or need additional information, please contact your local Crown representative.

Join the Conversation

0 comment