Relocating Down Under for work can be a career-defining and life-changing experience, but coping with the stress of a move and coming to terms with a new environment requires careful planning. Getting help to deal with these issues and finding a relocations company which not only moves your goods but also provides destination settling-in services can make a big difference to the relocations process.
Here are some key tips on how to cope with all aspects of a move abroad for work:
After you arrive Down Under
- Ask your relocations company to look after basics such as organising utilities, advising on banking, driving licenses, insurance services and local registrations.
- Don’t feel you need to buy a house even if the plan is to stay long term. Often renting close to work for the first few months is the best way to adjust to a new country. But do make your new place feel ‘homely’ by putting up family photographs and making it your own.
- Consider intercultural training as part of a settling-in package. There’s a big difference between going to work in another country and making your life work there. Crown Relocation’s intercultural training helps families settle into their new location smoothly. The confidence gained from learning how to communicate, and the satisfaction of integrating into the local culture, ensures a positive foreign experience and better integration.
- One-to-one coaching covering aspects such as an initial cultural readiness check, identifying specific requirements and building an action plan for further cultural development, could be useful.
- Don’t forget that partners may also need help in finding work and settling in.
- Consider joining local sports or social groups to meet new people. Making friends is one of the key aspects of settling in to a new environment – and don’t restrict yourself to expats only. Getting to know locals and neighbours can make you feel part of the community.
- Accept that you may feel homesick, almost everyone does at some stage. Build in plenty of leisure time to enjoy your new life – whether that is eating out, going to the beach or exploring like a tourist. It helps you to feel positive about the move.
Planning your own relocation Down Under for work? Read our tips on what you should do before you arrive in Oz.
Alternatively if you would like a moving quote please click here.
*As featured in the Australia and New Zealand magazine February issue 2018