Relocating Down Under for work can be a career-defining and life-changing experience. However coping with the stress of a move and coming to terms with a new environment requires careful planning.
Some of the biggest stresses experienced by those moving to work abroad come when packing up their belongings and making arrangements to leave – and at times it can feel daunting.
Here are some key tips to help you relocate Down Under for work:
Before you leave
- Plan well in advance – an eight-week timeline to complete a move is ideal but planning is even more important for last-minute moves.
- De-clutter your house to make leaving it easier – be ruthless in getting rid of junk. It’s a false economy to think that packing everything you own is the easiest option.
- Donate clothes and goods to charity (many charities offer a collection service), hold a garage sale, identify items to be recycled.
- Don’t forget to ask for help – from friends and family but also from professional services. The best relocations companies can offer professional packers to pack boxes for you – and this can save a lot of time.
- Professional cleaners may also be a good idea – in fact if you are renting then it is often a requirement of the contract to pay for a cleaner to visit before you leave.
- For those who want to move quickly, or those who intend to return within a short time-span, it is worth considering an option to simply store goods while you are away. Crown Relocations provides a secure storage facility, for instance.
- Consider undertaking an Insight Assessment before you leave This one-hour session helps movers understand the challenges that may be ahead – including for partners and family members who may need to look for work when they arrive.
For more information about all the ways Crown Relocations visit www.crownrelo.com.
*As featured in the Australia and New Zealand magazine February issue 2018