Temporary Graduate visa scheme (subclass 485)
Visa summary features
If you are an international student who has recently graduated from an Australian educational institution, then you could apply for a graduate visa.
This will let you work in Australia temporarily after you have finished your studies and is a popular choice for many students who wish to enjoy their first entry in to the work place in the land of sunshine.
There are a number of requirements that must be met to be able to apply for this visa. You might be eligible for this visa if you:
- are younger than 50 years of age
- are in Australia
- hold an eligible visa
- meet the two-year Australian study requirement
- meet the English language requirement
- have recently graduated with either an eligible qualification or with skills and qualifications that relate to an occupation on the skilled occupation list (SOL).
Students are only able to access the Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485) once as a primary applicant.
The visa has two streams
- Graduate Work stream – for international students with an eligible qualification who graduate with skills and qualifications that relate to an occupation on the Skilled Occupation List (SOL). A visa in this stream is granted for 18 months from the date of grant.
- Post-Study Work stream – for international students who graduate with a higher education degree from an Australian education provider, regardless of their field of study. This stream is only available to students who applied for, and were granted, their first student visa to Australia on or after 5 November 2011. A visa in this stream can be granted for up to four years from the date the visa is granted, depending on the visa applicant’s qualification.
If you are applying as the main applicant of the Temporary graduate visa scheme, you and anybody else covered by the application must be in Australia when you apply for this visa and when your visa is decided.
Family members who apply for this visa after the main applicant has been granted the visa may be in or outside Australia when they apply, but must not be in immigration clearance.
To apply for your free visa eligibility check visit here.