Close search
New Zealand beach

If you would like to relocate to New Zealand and have relatives living there as citizens or residents, you might be able to apply for them to sponsor you.

Applicants must be in one of the following groups below:


To qualify for this visa you are the husband, wife, de-facto or civil union partner of a New Zealand citizen or resident. As part of the Partner Visa process, you and your partner (married or unmarried) must be able to prove:

  • The applicant, or the partner of the New Zealand citizen or resident, meets all applicant eligibility requirements; and
  • The sponsoring partner meets all sponsor eligibility requirements.

Dependent child

To qualify for this visa you are a dependent child with a parent who is a New Zealand citizen or resident.

The parent or legal guardian must be one of the following:

  • Holder(s) of New Zealand Residence Permits;
  • Holder(s) of current New Zealand Returning Resident’s Visa(s); OR
  • Citizen(s) of Australia living in New Zealand.


To qualify for this visa you have a child who is a New Zealand citizen or resident.

The following rules apply:

  • Their child is 17 years or over and sponsors the application;
  • Their family’s ‘centre of gravity’ is in New Zealand; and
  • They meet all applicant requirements.

Under this policy, sponsoring children include:

  • Biological and adopted children; and
  • Your partner’s children (whether or not your partner is included in the application) if that child has lived as part of your family unit for most of the child’s life between the time your relationship with your partner began and when the child turned 17.

Parent retirement company

To qualify for this visa you have a child who is a New Zealand citizen or resident and you are able to invest NZ$1 million in New Zealand for four years.

Sibling or adult child

To qualify for this visa are the brother, sister or adult child of a New Zealand citizen or resident

Under this policy you may be granted residence if you have:

A New Zealand citizen or resident parent, brother or sister who is living in New Zealand able to sponsor your application;

  • No other siblings or parents who are living lawfully and permanently in the same country in which you are living lawfully and permanently.
  • You must also have an acceptable offer of employment in New Zealand, defined as: Ongoing work with a single employer (that is, permanent, indefinite, or for a stated term of at least 12 months with an option of further terms); or
  • For one or more contracts totaling at least 6 months, if you have provided evidence of having had at least 2 years of contract work; and
  • For full-time employment (averaging at least 30 hours per week); Current at the time your application is assessed and at the time you are granted residence;
  • For a position that is paid by salary or wages (positions of self-employment, payment by commission and/or retainer are not acceptable);
  • Accompanied by evidence of full or provisional registration, if full or provisional registration is required by law to take up the offer; and
  • Compliant with all relevant employment law in force in New Zealand.

Getting your move started is easy. Click here to fill out a moving quote.

Join the Conversation



    Good morning. I just wanted some more information, as it does not show anything on the click here link for more information

    Hi is it 'll still possible to sponsor the last remaining sibling to nz under adult sibling category?