Close search
chinese buildings

If you are relocating to China for business purposes, you will need to make sure you enter the country on the correct visa. We took a look at the visa types available to you.

M Visa

If you will be relocating to China on a short term basis (six months or less) for the purposes of commercial or trade activities, then you should look into the M Visa. Entering China under this visa will allow you to:

  • Attend business opportunities and negotiations with potential business partners.
  • Attend conferences as an audience member
  • Explore business opportunities on behalf of an overseas employer

Be aware that whilst your stay can be a maximum of six months, the business activities must be less than 90 days with a calendar year.

Z Visa

To apply for this working visa you must be under a Chinese entity’s employment sponsorship. The Z Visa is granted for those who have secured an Employment License and an Invitation Letter of Duly Authorised Unit (or Notification Letter of Foreigner Work Permit) between Invitation Letter of Duly Authorised Unit and from the related authorities in China. The visa is usually granted for single entry for 30 days. Once you have entered China you will then have 30 days to complete the post arrival process to convert the visa to a Work Permit and a Residence Permit. You can then begin working once you have obtained work permit insurance.

What is the maximum stay?

Generally this is going to allow you to live and work in China for up to two years.

How long will my application take to process?

It will take on average five weeks before you will be allowed in to China. This will then be followed by a one week entry visa application at the Chinese consulate at home. You will then need to take into account another four to five weeks post-arrival before the entire process is completed.

What about dependants?

Dependants are classified as one of the following:

  • Spouse
  • Parent
  • Parent-in-law
  • Children under 18

Dependants are able to accompany the principal applicant under a dependant immigration status. Any children accompanying you under 18 will be able to study whilst in China under their dependant immigrant status.

Will they face any limitations or special requirements?

No dependant entering China with you will be granted work permission. Any dependants under the Z Visa who have been granted stay over six months must register for Residence Permit within 30 days entry into China.

If you are planning on relocating to China for business and would like a moving quote, please click here.

Join the Conversation

0 comment